Leading Routes is a pioneering initiative established to address the challenges faced by Black students and graduates, with a particular focus on supporting ambitious young people into competitive universities and professions.
Our mission is to increase the number of high-achieving African Caribbean students thriving at competitive universities.
We aim to:
- Improve higher education awareness and preparedness to support potential applicants to competitive universities.
- Develop and support projects that aim to improve the aspirations academic attainment of students.
- Create a thriving network that works collaboratively to enrich African Caribbean student’s experience.
- Help students to develop leadership abilities and encourage participation within universities and the broader community.
- To inform and influence policy relating to African Caribbean student’s achievement and experiences.
In 2016, the government issued guidance to universities to increase the number of BME and disadvantaged students going to university by 20% by 2020 with particular focus on elite institutions. Our activities are currently focused on students in Year 10 through to university graduation.