Black in Academia LIVE is a two-night academic festival with special guest talks from your favourite black academics discussing all things academia; lively conversation and debates; and of course the opportunity to network and chill!
We are also giving four current students (two per evening) the opportunity to take to the stage and showcase their own academic credentials during our Disrupting the Discourse portion of the evening.
Find out more about our Black In Academia campaign: www.leadingroutes.org/bia.
DISRUPTING THE DISCOURSE
During Disrupting the Discourse two students – one undergraduate, one postgraduate taught or postgraduate research – will give a 10-minute talk on how higher education has or could offer a different perspective on the experiences and challenges faced either personally or more broadly by the global black community/ diaspora. These talks will be interdisciplinary – all subjects are welcome.
Here are some questions to help you to think about your talk:
- How has studying your subject of interest given you a different perspective that you could share with others to demonstrate the relevance of your subject area to everyday life?
- What have you learnt about your subject area through independent research or oral history that better represents the perspectives, experiences and histories of Black communities? How did you first learn this information? Who from? Having carried out further research, what interested or excited you most about what you learnt?
- Who are the black influences, influencers or thought leaders in your subject area that you would like to put the spotlight on? What did they do or say and how has it shaped your understanding of your subject or education in general?
Throughout the talk please feel free to share your personal experiences in higher education, however, we’d like the talks to be an example of how curricular can better represent Black communities (globally) and how important our voices are in this space. You may get some inspiration from our video series on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbw4mRBrIvtfBs6WmrjyOwA.
SHOULD YOU APPLY?
You should definitely apply if you are:
- A Black or mixed student from an African or Caribbean background
- Currently studying on an undergraduate, postgraduate taught or postgraduate research programme at a UK university (travel expenses covered)
- Have an idea that fits in with our theme of Disrupting the Discourse (see guidance above) that you think others would be interested in?
- Comfortable speaking in public – your talk doesn’t need to be polished, our team will help you with that, but you do need to be comfortable speaking to an audience of between 70-100 people
- Available on the 10 and/or 11 2019 for live events and recordings in the Euston, London area. You’ll only need to make one (possibly two) of these dates which will be confirmed nearer the time.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
- The chance to present your final talk at our LIVE event plus record a professionally produced version.
- £100 gift voucher
- Two mentoring sessions (in person or on the phone) from an established Black academic who can offer advice on your talk and academia more generally.
- Exclusive Black in Academia merch
- Submit your Black in Academia LIVE – Disrupting the Discourse Entrant Form.
- Shortlisted entrants will upload a 60 second video (this can be a simple format with a smart phone)
- Successful entrants will be notified and supported to finalise their talk
- Recording and LIVE performance
Please complete the entrant form https://goo.gl/forms/jJdL8dJXtpC5htYA3 by Monday 15th April 2019.
Not quite ready to speak? Tickets to attend will go on sale soon, with proceeds going towards Leading Routes events that aim to strengthen the academic pipeline for Black students. Follow us on Twitter for regular updates.